Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Get Wild

Ever since I tasted a dessert years ago featuring fraises des bois at Paris' Carre des Feuillants, I have been tempted to try just about any dish made with wild berries.

In English, the term "fraises des bois" (pronounced frez-day-bwah) is best translated as either wild strawberries or alpine strawberries — although they don't always come from a mountainous region. These berries are delicate and sweet, and they have an amazing aromatic quality that regular berries don't have.
Fraises des bois are heavenly. I agree wholeheartedly with the blogger at Erin's Kitchen who wrote this about fraises des bois:
Whatever you do with these beauties, you want to make sure the berries are the star. I wouldn't hide them in fruit salad or drown them in syrup. I ate mine out of hand, and threw a few on a small spinach salad with a few pinenuts and a splash of balsamic.
Wild blueberries are also quite delicious. This recipe for Maine Wild Blueberry Cake was just published in the N.Y. Times. It sounds very tempting.

I just read on a French website that there is a group called L’association "Les fraises des bois" that manages a market stand somewhere in the 11th arrondissement of Paris. I am tentatively planning to be in Paris next year. I would love to find that fraises des bois vendor.

No comments: