Sunday, January 11, 2009

Review: Ulah Bistro


I had brunch with a friend on Saturday at Ulah Bistro, located near 12th and U Streets, N.W. in Washington, D.C. The restaurant is relatively small, but cozy, housed in an old townhouse with exposed brick walls. There is an upstairs lounge.

(NOTE: While we were at Ulah, there was a presidential surprise across the street. See my previous post.)

I ordered Eggs Chesapeake, and I was impressed. The crab was plentiful and of very high quality. The eggs were perfectly poached. The Hollandaise sauce that accompanied it was fine.

My friend ordered a pizza, the Carnavale, which he liked very much. The proscuitto on the pizza was of high quality, although the sun-dried tomatoes atop the pizza had begun to dry out just a bit.

One complaint is that Ulah's has no espresso machine. Our server told us that the coffee they brew is excellent. I decided to dive in, and I must admit that I was disappointed because the coffee was just so-so.

Ulah's has a small, but pleasant bar, and there are several very good beers available on tap.

Service was pleasant, but a little on the slow side. Still, I liked Ulah's overall, and both of us agreed we would come back. Here is Tom Sietsema's description of Ulah in The Washington Post.

One plus is that Ulah's takes reservations via OpenTable.com.

No comments: