Friday, July 3, 2009

Rethinking the Hamburger

A whole lotta burgers are going to be grilled during this 4th of July weekend. And as this N.Y. Times article observes, hamburger makers are adding a lot of new twists and even refining the usual ingredients.

According to the Times article:
Over the last decade or so, there has hardly been a serious chef in America who hasn't taken a shot at reinventing or improving [the hamburger].

They have trained their skills on every element, from the precise grind of beef to the ketchup and pickles. Some have turned their bakers loose on reformulating the bun.
Frankly, I'm glad to see more attention focused on the hamburger bun. Most of them are pretty tasteless. I agree that a hamburger shouldn't be mostly about the bun, but a bun should be less flimsy and taste better than the typical buns one finds in a grocery store these days.

I once tried using a kaiser roll because they aren't so flimsy. But they are so thick and dense that they sort of overwhelm the burger. I'd love to know what other foodies have done to improve the bread element of a hamburger.

My views about the ideal burger condiments have changed considerably over the years. As much as I love tomatoes, I've come to believe they are under-achievers atop a beef patty. I have learned to really love pickles. And the only funky ingredient that I've taken to is slices of avocado.

No comments: