Monday, November 30, 2009

A Condiment That's Hard to Stomach

In today's Washington Post, columnist John Kelly writes:

I arrived late to the book party launching Maggie Hall's new paperback about Marmite, an English condiment that is perhaps the foulest compound legally sold for human consumption. Late, but not late enough: There was still plenty of Marmite left.

... I arrived late to the book party launching Maggie Hall's new paperback about Marmite, an English condiment that is perhaps the foulest compound legally sold for human consumption. Late, but not late enough: There was still plenty of Marmite left.

That's how it tastes, anyway. What it is is yeast extract. You might wonder why someone first thought to extract something edible from yeast. I know I did. Apparently when you brew beer, there's all this sludge left over.
Believe me, marmite is as gross as Kelly describes.

1 comment:

Maggie Hall said...

Whether you agree or disagree with John Kelly, believe me the book is for you! How do I know? Because I am Maggie Hall....and there's plenty in it to keep both 'haters' and 'lovers' happy. The book is: The Mish-Mash Dictionary of Marmite: an anecdotal A-Z of 'Tar-in-a-Jar'. Check it out at: Mish-Mash-Marmite.blogspot.com....thanks for allowing me this unashamed 'plug' for my own book! Maggie Hall.